วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 26 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2550

Nun or no nun, that is the question


Well, it has been quite a while since my last post and many things happened in the meantime.

First of all, I turned 29 years *wooohh*...old..However, I do not fall into midlife crisis or anything like that. At least not since "Dove" have produced "pro age" products. I belong to the type of women who become older without regrets and who associate age with growing wisdom, knowledge, life experience, INCOME, inner stability, growing fat depots that don't matter because nobody expects a women with kids to have a slim figure (the best thing is: I do not have kids, but growing fat is still allowed...) - become unattractive is widely accepted. It is nearly a have-to! Women who are in their 40ies and still try to look like 20 are considered to have little self-confidence and superficial. I am not like that. I am fully aware that wrinkles are to come soon. My hair has started to fall out a year ago already. But I don't care. I am prepared to get old. I know, I can do it. I will survive. Yeah me.

Second very important point to mention is my new flatmate. We get on quite well. He is easy to handle, that's what I like. The only disadvantage is that he keeps me quite busy so that I do not find the time to prepare lessons for school as planned. But I love him anyway...my new Hp compaq nx6310 . And the mouse...sweet...

Finally, I should mention my trip to Thailand.

Lindi and me in Tuk Tuk in Bangkok:





This has been the third time that I went to Thailand and - as always - I went to a Wat again. Even though I had more mosquito bites than leg and I fell ill in the last days, I did enjoy my stay. I love temple life. Don't ask me why. In fact, if people ask me about my holidays, the only things I can tell them is....:

- getting up at 4 in the morning
- one meal a day
- extremely humid weather
- lot of mosquitoes
- I basically lived on a construction site, as the temple is not finished
- we got jackhammer sounds every day for lunch
- whenever it rained (every day) I could not close the door to my kuti, because the wooden door expanded when getting wet
- I fell awfully sick in the last days, that I nearly slept 35 hours in the last two days.

Construction cite on temple area & a new Buddha delivered:







So, all in all: yeah, it was great. I enjoyed it! Don't ask me why, but I really do feel well there! And I will go back. I have announced my becoming a nun to my friends and relatives already (which would solve the problem with my vanishing hair...). Well, I am not 100% convinced, because teaching conditions in Germany are pretty good and I am not sure whether I want to abstain from further world trips, a nice comfy bed, a hot shower, etc....There are a few things I would miss on a long term, I assume, including the fact that - as a nun - I would not be able to donate anything to the temple. Working in Germany, in contrast, would allow me a fairly decent living.
So here I am, not knowing what is more important: money and financial security or to life in a place where one feels at home in the present moment. How far should one make plans for the future? Should we care about tomorrow, about next year? Where does courage end and stupidity begin?
I do not know and I guess, I will never find out...

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: